Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Final Exam

1. On my comment to Oncomouse:
Before I had commented on what a wonderful idea it was to have a mouse that's make-up would be similar to that of a human being. I thought that it would be great that we could test new drugs and actually find the true results before ever trying the drug on a human. I didn't think that it was cruel to lab mice that they were being used to see what would the results be if the scientist did whatever to them. I also believed that this was great for the terminally ill. Plus, that maybe it could find the cure to cancer, HIV (AIDS), and other terminal diseases. I didn't think it was unethical to have such an advantage of curing diseases and possibly viruses that have been killing people for years. I could see how someone might want to disagree with me but this oncomouse can open some many more opportunities to our world.
I can see someone thinking that diseases are considered as "population control" and if that was disrupted then we would be over populated. Or that this was cruel to be using a animal's life once again for our own advantages. Perhaps, if this was a successful idea that funding and testing would be too expensive and even if drugs were developed from such idea that they would probably be too expensive to purchase.
I can see why people might want to disagree with me when I say oncomouse is such a great idea. Once again, I'm going to be a nurse and I'm going to see poor people dying to young and too soon. I'm going to see people suffering and begging not to die. I'm going to see someone that just happened to have bad luck and made a stupid decision. I'm going to want to help them and I want everything that can be done to be done. I don't want to see people die I want to see them live. If something like this does ever become available I'm all for supporting the idea. Think about it could be you one day lying there wishing that there was something else that could be done....


2. My comment on Koyaanisquatsi:
When commenting on Koyaanisquatsi I thought that the film made you feel like it was the end of the world. The music and the scenes were just put together like this world has become a nightmare because of technology. I also had said that the director felt like we were being control by the technology instead of us controlling it ourselves. He has nature's finest in the film; the beautiful trees and oceans. The director had everything untouched and innocent. Then he came with factories and cities forming and just destroyed the calmness. I stated that there is still nature in our world and we can still choose to be a part of it or we can be a part of our industrialization. So we still can make a choice on how we live our lives.
Others might disagree because most people cannot function without our technology. The use of the internet, lab tops, cell phones, I-pods, palm pilots, ect. can be seen everywhere today. Industrialization has changed our society in many ways. Children are not out enjoying the weather and outside anymore because they rather stay in the house and play playstation or play on the computer.
Our society has changed but I think that it's your choice on how you want it to affect your personal life. You can make the decision to have a cell phone or not. Parents can keep their children away from video games and make them play outside. I don't think that technology is a bad thing and I don't think it controls us. It's nice to have technology and it has many advantages. I myself enjoying having a cell phone and I like using the internet. It's nice to have these things and of course people enjoy and use them but it doesn't mean it's controlling their lives. When man discovered how to use a sharp edge on a stick to find food what did he do?? Of course, he started using the tool to start killing some better food. Of course, he used this tool for any other purposes when he could figure out what it was good for. This is simply what we are doing today we just figured out better technology.

No comments: