Monday, April 03, 2006

Futurological Congress

Today I started reading the Lem novel, The Futurological Congress, and it is extremely strange. The crazy thing is, though, I didn't expect to like it, but I have almost finished it in one day. Lem's vision of the future is so colorful and wild and it's supposed to take place in the year 2039, which is not even that far away. Some of the thoughts in the books are quite scary, such as being able to eat books in order to consume knowledge, the ability to reinvent oneself completely if unsatisfied, and characters that can come out of the television and hurt the viewer. The most frightening idea in the book so far is the concept of eternal life. In the story it is common for the dead to be brought back to life or to have their brain transplanted to a healthy body. I can't imagine going on forever and never being able to die. I still have more to read so I will continue this later...

No comments: