Monday, April 24, 2006

Final Exam

As I listened in class the other day to presentations on cyborgs, I started to think maybe Harraway is right to a certain extent. Some people can be considered cyborgs but not all. Being a nursing major I have had many oppertunities to talk with patients who have artificial body parts. These patients especially the ones with pace makers are grateful for the technology of the modern era. Some patients with pace makers would not be alive if it wasn't for technology. Same for patient's with artificial limbs that help them to function like normal human beings. I guess I would consider these people as part cyborgs because of the use of technology. But I still disagree with the fact that humans even with artificial limbs or pace makers are completely cyborgs. Humans woud not be able to have feelings or a conscious to tell right from wrong if they were cyborgs.
I also agree that steriods can turn a person into a cyborg. When people use steriods they want to become strong in a shoerter period of time. This can make them abnormal to teh reast of the human population because of the domination of muscle strength. These people may be considered in a different catagory.
i still believe that humans have to adapt to the technology advancements. People are who they are by what they are taught and how they are raised. Even though humans use technology in their every day life it is not a part of their actual body, just a part of their life.
However, I do not feel our generation needs to worry about the advancement of cyborgs right now. The closes we can get is to people with artifical body parts and just the usage of technology every day.
Koyaanisqatsi
I spend a lot of time outside. During the summer my family and I go camping using technology such as campers and gas stoves to cook. I have to agree with the creator of Koyaanisqatsi that the environment is technology. A person just needs to look outside a window to view a piece of technology in the environment. In cities tall buildings, factories, lights, cars, and machinery are all part of the environment filled with technology. In the movie I remember one particular scene that I thought was interesting which was the factory on the beach with people laying out in the sun. When I picture a beach I definetly don't picture one with a factory right next to it, however there are a lot of condos. A family on vacation to this beach is there for relaxation but instead of hearing the ocean waves they hear the factory horns.
Because of the technology advancing so quickly in the United States many of the woodlands and farms are being destroyed to build new cities or factories. If technology keeps advancing like it is there will be no more forest for animals or farms to grow crops. People will lose their beaches to factories and there will be no more family vacations. The natural noises of animals such as birds will be over heard by factories and machinery working. It's amazing to see how technology has progressed in just ten years. And soon the environment will be completely full of factories, buildings and machinery in places it was never before.

No comments: