Monday, April 24, 2006

Final Exam

1) My first post was about how technology seeps its way into our lives, and that it's up to us to prevent it from taking over. Maybe I was wrong...Perhaps the way to go is to just embrace it and all it has to offer. The truth is that those who chose to resist will simply be left behind. Every aspect of life is connected to technology in some form, so we should just accept it. In the workplace is where I see the biggest need for submission to technology. Most occupations, most lucrative ones, anyway, require a working knowledge of the computer. In order to succeed in life we need to accept the fact that technology is the way of the future, or we'll find ourselves stuck in the past.

2) My second post suggested that we can choose focal practices while still enjoying certain aspects of technology. Sometimes when I really look around at the way people interact, I think that technology is in itself the new focal practice. Forget going to Southgate House...I can stay at home listening to the stereo, not worrying about how I look, and I'm still hearing the same music without the hassle of parking, crowds, and mediocre warm up groups. If you look at things like chat rooms, instant messaging, distance learning, and on-line dating, these things are all keeping people connected and involved. Isn't connection, and engagement what focal practices are all about? If that's the case, I would have to say that technology is without a doubt a focal practice.

No comments: