Friday, April 21, 2006

lem

I enjoyed reading the Futurological Congress. I didn't understand some of the jokes or references and had a hard time keeping track of characters, but i don't think that was the point of the work. I'm worried that the need that people today have for everything to connect and makes sense (and sense is a relative term, anyway) prevents them from enjoying new experiences. We recently studied poetry in my Spanish class and about half of the students spent time complaining that they "didn't get it" instead of just relaxing and enjoying what they could. My point is that not every line of every poem need make sense. The point is the overall impression you get from a piece or the feeling that the work leaves you with.

Is this need to know everything widespread and symptomatic of our technological age? Or am I just picking on the Biology majors without meaning to?

No comments: