Sunday, January 29, 2006

While I initally tend to agree with Borgmann about the loss of focal practices in society today, I do think he's being a little rough on those of us who enjoy some aspects of technology, but are also smart enough to not let it rule our life. Did he write this book on a typewriter or a computer?

I like my Ipod and the ability it gives me to take the music I really enjoy with me to the gym, or on a walk, or anywhere else I want to go. On the other hand, however, I know that it's not the same as a night out at the Southgate House listening to live music and interacting with people who have similar musical interests. A spigot isn't as interactive as a well, and an Ipod isn't as social as live music, but all of these things have value in their own way. By not having to spend time getting water out of a well, I'm able to use that time for something I enjoy, like taking a walk listening to music on my Ipod.

Maybe the fact that people use the extra time made available to them through technology in a less than productive way, isn't as much of a commentary on the problem of technology as it is a commentary on the problem of human nature.

1 comment:

Jerome Langguth said...

Laura Beth,

The position you are taking here is actually quite close to Borgmann's own. He does not suggest that we replace new technology with the old, or that we throw out our ipods or other gadgets. But given the choice between a night at the Southgate House and one spent at home with the stereo, Borgmann thinks we ought to choose the "focal practice." That is because just about everything else in our culture pulls us in the other direction. It is just a matter of restoring balance.