Friday, January 20, 2006

As the mother of three boys, it was impossible to watch this film without thinking about how technology does, and will, effect their lives in particular. The battery in our cordless phone died a few weeks ago, and until I could get a replacement I plugged in one of our old phones. You know, the kind that actually has a cord and no screen to display caller ID. I think my children now need therapy to deal with the stress of having to figure out how to cope with that "old fashioned" phone, not to mention the quickly approaching battle of whether or not my thirteen year old needs a cell phone "like the rest of his friends". For me, these are just a couple of tangible examples of how we are all immersed in technology as the film suggests, and also of how it consumes us before we have a chance to choose for ourselves whether or not we want it or need it. The filmmaker appeared to have a pretty bleak view of the future, but I choose to remain ever hopeful (as ridiculous as that may be) that humans are smart enough to eventually realize that while technology is valuable in many regards, there is also value in preserving the beauty of experiences without it. Balance...

No comments: