Sunday, January 22, 2006

Comments on Koyaanisqatsi

As I watched the film I was mostly confused at first with all the music and no commentary, but as the music changed tone and melody and the images became increasingly less attractive I could tell exactly what was going on. It seemed that the producer of this film wanted to show the transformation of the environment of nature to the environment of technology. We live with so much technology and sometimes we forget to look at what nature has provided us. He takes nature which is in the background these days and makes it the foreground. I found the interview to be very helpful in aiding my understanding of the film because I learned that he didn't want any commentary in the film because he didn't want any cultural baggage or allow the words to have any meaning to the audience. The way that he entitled the film was very intelligent as well Quatsi=way of life and Koyan=crazy or out of balance. So the film means "a crazy way of living." Technology will never go away and people can't just do without it because technology is who we are and its a lifestyle. Is it true that we are becoming disconnected with life because of technology?? I don't know maybe we are; but it's hard to know what it means to be connected or disconnected when I've grown up with technology my whole life. I do believe that people are lazier because of the rising amounts of technology that occur with each passing day. We cannot allow technology to be an excuse for our laziness. The best way to combat laziness is to be constructive with the time we are saving from the enhancements that technology has given us. I mean instead of playing nintendo with our extra time from not having to chop wood for warmth we should read or increase our knowledge about something useful. But I enjoyed the movie, and after seeing the interview it made great sense.

No comments: