Thursday, September 01, 2011

Free Will Win's Out

I am simply fascinated by Jacques Ellul in his discussion on the progression of the technological era in which we live and are ever seeking to improve. His basis in most simple terms is that we are to far gone. We as a society are addicted to technology and are therefore blinded to its inherent dangers. Ellul goes on to say that there are three potential external means to escape this vicious and ultimately dangerous lifestyle that we are stuck in. On page 184 in the text he list these three external factors. He sights them as war, people becoming aware of the threat, and lastly God. It is this last external factor that draws me in. He writes, "If God decides to intervene, man's freedom may be saved by a change in direction of history or in the nature of man" (Ellul 184). Now me being a religious and faith filled man both love this and hate this in a sense of disagreement. I love this idea of relying on God to save us in the form of a miracle simply because Ellul is recognizing the the saving grace of God. I applaud this rational. I do so because I whole heartily believe in the ability of our Lord to save. In this specific case He would step in some way rid us of our aggressive addiction to technology. In doing so He would save us from what ever fate awaits us, which as Ellul would imply is bad. Now on the other hand I hate this remark in a sense that I disagree with it. I disagree with in on a doctrinal level. Any Christian faith believes in free will, which basically means God lets us do what ever we want. (I keep it so simple for the sake of those that don't care.) By Ellul saying God has to step in to save us so we may continue to live goes against this idea of free will so therefore I disagree with it. God gave us this gift of free will and He will not take it away. If He were to step in there would be no point to us existing. This is because God wants us to have to choose to love and serve Him. If God forced us to love Him he would not receive true glory that He desires. So it is with this that I disagree with Ellul in that God can't intervene to fix our addiction to technology. On a closing note it is our free will that got us into this and equally it must be that same free will that gets us out.

No comments: