Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Aristotelean Principle

We discussed how the Aristotelean Principle says that as humans we would rather partake in complex things than passive things. I would say that this theory is flawed. Maybe this was true at one point but with society today people are looking for easier ways to get what they want. For example reading a book is a more complex way of getting a story opposed to watching tv to see a story, but now days most people including myself would rather watch television than take the time to read a book.

3 comments:

patty-wack said...

This is a very true statement. I would love to see the science behind why this is so. I personally don't understand it. There someday I come home and want to read and others I want to watch TV, but why? What has happened to our society that has made us so lazy? Could it be technology, maybe the internet or cell phones? The bottom line is that our society is becoming lazy and it is this very laziness that disproves the Aristotelian Principle.

Brittney Brunner said...

Very true. I rather watch a movie based on a book than read the book. I rather write a paper on my computer than go into class and write one. I rather After a long work day most people want to make a quick meal and not a full course home cooked meal.

Maria said...

It is true that we have become a lazy society. We would rather depend on googling something rather than scan the library for the answer. The fact that google is quick and rewarding promotes this type of intellectual laziness. I was even astounded to hear my friend say the other day that the first words that he will teach his son is "google it"! He says that by doing that, a lot of problems will be solved. I would beg to differ.