Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Thoughts on GM Foods

Deciding on which side of the GM debate to stand on has always been a tough decision to think about for me. I realize that I unknowingly consume GM foods on a daily basis, yet I have always for the most part been against them. As I began analyzing my own objection to GM foods I found myself jumping back over the fence in support for them. My first objection was that I was very skeptical of big businesses and the part they now play in the market of genetically modifying the very foods that I will consume. Though this will always make me a little uneasy, it is no reason to resist a possible solution to the massive population crisis at hand. My other objection was that I didn't feel GM foods were truly authentic. It’s nice to think that the food you are eating is natural but in reality most everything today has been altered in some form. What does it mean to be natural anymore? Processed foods are always packed with preservatives and other artificial additions. I believe that we should absolutely move forward with GM foods however we must exercise caution. We don’t want to find out that we have made mistakes that could have been avoided by using some restraint. If society did not have such a pressing need for food, I would be against genetically modifying it. We do need it and even though it is hard for some of us living in the United States to imagine extreme poverty and food shortages, we must think about them. The thought of mixing spider genes with goats is rather ugly and disgusting but millions of starving children is also an ugly reality.

1 comment:

Justin Ramsey said...

You bring up a nice contrast with the yuck factor involved with mixing spider and goat genes compared to the starving children. How many people could actually argue that the mixing of genes is more disgusting than the fact that millions of children are starving. The pictures of these children is far more disheartening than any gene splicing venture that I have witnessed. GM foods could stop this type of atrocity, so we need to rally behind them.