Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Book in iPad commercial

So I got to wondering what book was shown in the iPad commercial because I am interested by subliminal messages by advertisers. Anyways... the book shown is called "True Compass" by the late Edward M. Kennedy. I did some research on the book and the author because the only thing I knew was that he was a Kennedy for one and a senator. Through all the political garbage that came up, it was interesting to see that his book is being called "Book of the Times" and "An American Classic." I believe, just like the intentional Star Trek placement, that they are intentionally trying to express the idea that the iPad is the new big thing for our generation. On further research of the iPad, I found that this device comes just short of being a smaller and lighter version of a laptop. This device is said to be ideal for users who just want to surf the web, do social networking, view audio and video files, and do the occasional creative content. There are no USB hook ups, no capability to edit and review large excel sheets, no web chat, and does not support Adobe Flash software. To seek more information for yourself, just to to apple's homepage and there are a shitake ton of sites to give you the run down.

2 comments:

Aaron Monk said...

I too was interested in the new iPad commercial after seeing it Monday night and then discussing it during class on Tuesday. I think that it is a great marketing pitch to have two items, Star Trek and Ted Kennedy’s autobiography, that both have significant relevance to the product itself. Apple has always done a phenomenal job in getting the public to believe that whatever product they are release is a must have, even if they come out with an upgrade a few months later. I concur with Kara’s statement about Apple trying to express that the iPad is the next big thing for our generation. The skeptic in me believes that in a couple years down the road we will have something far superior to the iPad and year after year Apple will tell us that we need to have their new gadget.

P.Roddy said...

I read this blog and found it to be interesting and funny. We discussed the whole "star trek" ordeal and how it is almost ironic or done on purpose to advertise to that individual group. Yet, the question still is why? Why that book? A childhood favorite of the operating officer of the apple marketing department. Going back to the device itself, the ipad in an of itself is a poster child for Borgmann's statements on how we are in this paradigm. For some unknown reason, I almost had the innate desire to have the ipad. Though it is not necassary to my well being, I still felt compelled to purchase it. Then felt a sort of epiphany when realizing I myself am a pawn in this chess game of technology.