Friday, November 04, 2011

Living forever through technology is a terrible idea

Today in class we watched a video that showed a futuristic world in which it is law to have your consciousness loaded onto a computer before you die and live forever. If I were presented with this technology I would not even consider it. To upload your consciousness to a computer and live forever you would be selling your soul in order to live forever in this world. You would exclude yourself from salvation with God. I do believe that a lot of people other than myself would choose to do this however due to people thinking that complete consciousness of this world is better than salvation and a lack of faith in many people. This is the best example of how technology can be unethical I could see future generations excepting this as normall and like in the movie think people who want to die like they are supposed to are crazy for not choosing to live forever through a computer. If we as a society ever let technology get to this point I believe God would end this world and those people who tried to cheat his plan would have to answer for their decisions.

2 comments:

Dave Reed said...

um...how exactly is this selling your soul? how does this prevent salvation? why would god end the world for wanting to improve our world and our way of life? this isnt cheating his plan because people still die. theyre consciousness would simply be recorded and digitized to simulate life. i think the reason some people are adament against this decision is due to overhyped religous paranoia about being 'punished'. if god is forgiving, then what do you have to worry about? just be a good person.

Anonymous said...

I agree completely with Dave. I only hope this technology is available before I pass, and that i could afford it. I also think that nanotechnology in the future will at least be able to prolong our lives by centuries.