Thursday, October 16, 2008

A Straight Story

After watching the ending of this movie, I must admit that I was disappointed by the ending. I understand that Alvin accomplished what he set out to do, but I feel like there is more to the story. It would make a better ending and justify his entire purpose more if the audience knew how Alvin's relationship with his brother changed. If they stayed the same and didn't reconcile then his trip was useless. I like to think that the two brothers finally worked it out and remained close until their deaths. I think that life is too short to stay angry at someone for 10 years. I really liked the part in the movie where Lyle looks over at Alvin's tractor and asked if he rode that thing all the way there to see him. That part really put the movie into perspective and leads the audience to believe that the two brothers were going to end their feud. I can definitely see the correlation between this movie and Borgmann's concept of bringing into focus again the focal things and practices in life.

No comments: