Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Saddest Part of "The Straight Story"

I thought that the saddest and most movie part of the straight story was when Alvin was gathered around the camp fire with the bikers. First he is amazed by them when they ride by, so fast and able to move so fast. One of the bikers later that night asks him, "What the worst thing about being old." And Alvin says, "Remembering when you was young." I think that is so sad for him to be surrounded by so many youthful people and have that reminder of what he will never have again.

2 comments:

John said...

When Alvin was around the fire with all the young bikers, I think he realizes that no matter what happens he is going to finish this journey of his the way he started it. When the biker asked Alvin about being old I feel that he wanted to prove that even though he was getting older he can still be productive and accomplish task that are as big as traveling across the country on a lawnmower. I think that is why the movie ended like it did, is adventure was complete and he met with his brother. The two main points of the story were completed and that was what the director wanted to get across.

John Wise said...

I also enjoyed watching "The Straight Story" today in class. I feel that the purpose of this movie is to remind us of the simple things in life. I believe that the director wanted the viewers to follow Alvin on his journey and realize how great simple things are in a fast paced culture if we take the time out of our normal lifestyles to enjoy the world around us.