Saturday, October 04, 2008

Leisure Time vs. Virtue

As I began to read the chapter in Borgmann's text, I really began to think about what I do with the leisure time I do have. After work, I usually come home and do a whole lot of nothing. I could use that time doing other things such as reading or homework. Rather than getting things accomplished, I opt to spend my time doing unnecessary things such as browsing the internet for things that I am never going to buy or spending my day watching television that does nothing but bore me. Borgmann is correct about how humans tend to spend their leisure time. I agree totally because most of us think it is unnecessary to go to a museum when you can just go online in your avatar and avoid having to go out. However, where is the risk taking in this action? Why not go out and do virtuous tasks such as going to a museum or tasks that increase knowledge?

No comments: