Saturday, March 16, 2013

Focal Things and Practices

Recently in class, we discussed a concept called "Focal Things and Practices."

This really stuck home with me... focal things are objects or actions that require more human interaction and work, rather than having a machine do it for you. For example, a fireplace is considered a focal thing because it requires the human effort of throwing in logs and lighting th fire and maintaining it, plus it brings people together... its non focal equivalent is indoor heating, which takes minimal effort to work, and does not bring people together.

I think focal things are extremely important. I have always argued with my brother about what is better: buying and collecting CD's to listen to, or downloading music online and just listening to it from your computer. I have always though CD's are superior to that, because there's more interaction with one than just listening to a pre-downloaded song on the computer. Having to choose the CD, and load it into the the player is alot more focal than pulling up spotify or pandora and listening to it there.

In fact, even more focal than CD's, is live music. I myself am a musician and have played trumpet and other brass instruments for about 8 years... I sometimes play at bars for money even and I have always loved doing it. Live music is so much more superior and focal than listening to spotify or a CD because not only does it bring people together, but it requires much effort for the musicians as well and really is a workout on the brain.

I guess what I'm getting at is this: I am a focal person. I am not very introverted... I am very extroverted and enjoy personal interaction. I like saying hello, and sometimes I like to do stuff "the old fashioned way" (I have friends that I sometimes write letters to even!). Therefore, I feel that focal things and practices are essential to the spirit that makes us human. I feel like without these things, we become less than human.

Humans are social animals, and if we're on cell phones all the time, what do we become?

No comments: