Wednesday, March 27, 2013

A day without Technology

In one of my English courses, I was challenged to go a day without technology; that means no cell phone, no Facebook, no Twitter, nothing.  I accepted the challenge with the notion that it would not be that difficult.  What is 24 hours with no technology?  After the first hour, I was already having a difficult time.  I was constantly worried that someone would try to reach me in an emergency and I would not know or be able to help.  Then there was the fact that everyone else was checking their phones constantly and I was the odd man out.  I began have the "phantom vibrations" phenomenon also.  Needless to say, I cheated on the challenge and caved in after a mere 2 hours.  This really showed me how much technology controls my world and daily activities.  I challenge you to try a whole 24 hours without technology to fully understand how much it controls your life.  I bet it will be more than you think!

1 comment:

Cody Makin said...

There are times that I'll leave my apartment or house to go eat or run a quick errand and realize that I've left my phone on my dresser or elsewhere. Instead of just thinking that I'll just wait until I get back to get it since I don't really need it I decided instead to go back for it. There have been cases where I am five minutes away and I turn around to go get it. It is scary how much of a hold technology has on us.