Monday, March 01, 2010

Blog= Into Great Silence

Even though we did not get to watch all of this film last week I began to see what this film provokes and found myself attaching things to the film that maybe related to what our society teaches us today. As every had noticed this film lacked everything but picture, ranging from no sound and sometimes even the lack of movement. So I found myself immediatley critiquing the movie and trying to place that original five point plot that we always seemed to use in junior high english. However, I found it extremely difficult, and in today's society language is so important and I tried to sit there and interpret the film by what I saw. Yet, I found myself asking the question, "If they were "allowed" to speak what would they say?" This made it very difficult because there was no emotions that seem to come from this film either, these monks seemed to have one purpose and that was based around religion. I came to the conclusion that they were what I claimed as "pure." I only use this because they have yet to taste or use many of the devices or become corrupt by greed for monetary materialistice desires like most are today. I am not making a generalization about all people because there are many who would agree with Borgmann and want the focal points in their homes rather than the devices we have today, yet, those seem to be slimming as more devices come out. I myself am one of those who use devices on a daily basis and finding myself almost relying on them. I am not ashamed to admit this and I feel as if I am one of those cyborgs, but I do find that making a dinner with a family is better than popping a delicious microwaveable dinner in the microwave then thirty seconds later it is done. So in regards more to these monks I believe they are what some people would call more human than most of society today, yet are they lacking the opprotunity to become more than just human?

1 comment:

Nick L. said...

This may be off point a bit, but what I find myself wondering was what were the monks depth of experiences before entering the monastery. Were they average kids leading normal lives when they felt they were "called" to that life, or could some of them possibly have been craving escape. If they were disgusted with society thru a horrible experience, then maybe life now is a release from whatever that experience was. I'd have to know some background before forming an opinion as to the virtue of what they are doing, at least in respect to the lack of modern "necessities". If they don't know what they are missing, then are they? And a life void of temptation isn't necessarily a virtuous life, as I see virtue as the ability to refrain from vice, but in the absence of vice what is the virtue? If the unabomber could have found a monastery would all those bombs have not been sent, as he found a better release from the evil he may have felt around him? I guess my point would be that if the monks don't know what they are missing, then they aren't missing anything. Maybe a road trip to the city to test there virtue is in order to see who is truly called and prepared to answer. I suppose the reasons may make that life, for some, a near unbearable test of faith, whereas for others it was an easy way out.