Friday, March 26, 2010

Action Movie Deictic Discourse

As we were discussing the wilderness as deictic discourse the other day, I had an idea. Could my favourite movie, Princess Mononoke, be a deictic discourse on the relationship between the wilderness and industrialization? The animated film has incredible scenes of wilderness vistas and "big game" animal gods, contrasted with the mighty industrialization of a mining town and its warriors. I will post a link to a trailer, but if anyone's interested I can try and convince Prof. Langguth to let me show it on the projector after class; it successfully combines deictic discourse with the action/adventure movie genre.


Trailer (but it's better in the original Japanese):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkWWWKKA8jY

1 comment:

Mike Casteel said...

BTW the music for the movie, composed by Joe Hisaishi, is absolutely gorgeous; never seen the movie though =/