Saturday, March 27, 2010

The Best Camping Laptop

While online I came across a forum post where a person was seeking advice on a good camping laptop. This question really does sound insane but it just goes to show how strong of a hold technology has on our lives. Some of my most memorable times have been camping or spending time outdoors away from the controlling grip of technology. Camping has completely modernized as new devices have been introduced promising to make the camping experience more enjoyable. Really all they are doing is depriving us from one of the few pure focal activities in life. Camping should be a time of living with just the very basic supplies and focusing on human interactions and the tranquility of nature. As tents become more luxurious, and camping supplies turn into devices it seems that the focal practice of camping has been for ever defaced by the influence of the device paradigm. I think that it is vital for everyone to experience a temporary vacation from the stressfull and demanding control of technology; the problem is finding a place that has not already been affected by the paradigm.

2 comments:

Allen said...

I find this to be really interesting. I also believe that we need to experience a vacation that allows us to get away from the stressful situations in our lives. I love the fact of seeing people going camping in a big RV. The RV contains a stove,shower, beds, TV's areas to hook up your computer and use WIFI. The idea of camping has almost been a thing of the past. Now camping must include technology just in order to have a peaceful and relaxing time. I think that the paradigm has put its finger on almost everything in our lives today.

Nick L. said...

I have to comment, as an avid camper/hiker/outdoorsmen(all self-proclaimed, I admit). I camp red river gorge often, and have no prob stating that many of the camper's I encounter totally miss out on the more focal aspects of camping, such as the serenity the absence of technology can bring. The most technological device I utilize is a lensatic compass and topographic maps. Many of my friends use GPS systems, and can't even read a map! This is the paradigm in action, as I see it. My fiance can't even read a street map, although in her defense, she's never had to. When I asked her what she would do should the GPS ever break, she said she'd call someone on her cell... Nature is all we have left that is pure and untouched, yet it's being lost to convenience and "safety". Too bad, it seems anymore the next generation would experience life more thru reality tv than actual physical experience. I personally think we are starting to breed a generation of scared little kids to some extent, that no longer live and experience life for themselves, but do it from a couch and flat screen.