Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Blog #7 Communication

After my dad, brother, and me finished watching some basketball, my family sat down at the table for dinner. This was very unusual today because I live at school, and my brother, his wife, and daughter live elsewhere- so my mom made dinner for seven. During dinner, my brother pulled out his cellphone, and immediatly my mom told him to put it away. He quickly responded with "I just want to check the scores" (of the basketball game). When he did this, I thought about something we had discussed in class about losing the focal point and about Matters of Ultimate Concern. We are so distracted by the gadgets and the easy access of this technology distracts the person from the real focus. Technology is so present in our day to day activies that even myself- who doesn't have an i-pod or texting- find myself easily distracted, yet easily annoyed with others. Losing focus on the family or communication is a matter of concern that needs to be addressed if the technological devices are becoming more and more prevalent in our day to day life. During dinner, my family was distracted from conversation, but my brother was busy on his phone updating his bracket. Do we even want to communicate with others anymore, or just acknowledge their existence?

No comments: