Thursday, March 16, 2006

Haraway Opinion

When I think of Cyborgs I picture them as a monster trying to disguish as a human. Never did I think twice about how a person with an artificial heart vavle could be considered a cyborg. It is true that there is a piece of technology inside of a human being but does that really mean human beings are all cyborgs? I disagree with Haraway when she states that all human beings are cyborgs. Yes it is true that we all do use technology but I do not feel it is literally a part of us. When discussing cyborgs I believe one must consider their religion to defend themselves. I am a Catholic which I believe all humans were made by God and there is only one human essence unlike Haraway were she believes there is not one human essence. I believe that human beings have to change with time because of all the different technology out in the world. We must adapt to these changes. When Haraway discusses how human beings social relations, and self-interpretation are permeated by modern technology, I have to disagree. I feel that my social relations and self interpretation is reflected through how my parents have raised me and what I was taught. Modern technology I believe has nothing to do with who I am. A human being has qualities that differentiate them from other creatures because of the way we think, the way we act and the way we are taught. I reflect back on Dreyfus and think we must not let technology take over the human race we need to keep our focal activities close.

No comments: