Thursday, March 23, 2006

Cyborgs and Frankenstein

At first glance at Haraway's theory of everyone being a cyborg, I could not have disagreed more. But after some thought, much like Sarah's post, I believe that we all do have an element of cyborg in us. We rely so heavily on computers, cell phones, television, and other forms of technology and machines that we are dependent on them for our survival, thus making it almost an impossibility to live without these things. In this sense, we are cyborgs; half human, half machine. Frankenstein's creation, too, is a cyborg; on the borderline between human and monster, life and death, and the natural and unnatural. However, some of the characteristics given in the Achterhuis book on Haraway's theory I find confusing. She claims that, on page 105, "A cyborg is radically excluded from Paradise, and is untroubled by that fact." This part struck me as contradictory when thinking about Frankenstein's monster as a cyborg. The creature longed for human companionship and love; he longed for a place to belong and for someone's kindness. He was excluded from Paradise, but was always troubled by that fact. I am not sure if I am reading this wrong, but I took Paradise to be a place of eternal happiness where love abounds. The creature was never able to be a part of that paradise and was all the more monstrous for it.

No comments: