Friday, March 24, 2006

Cyborgosity vs. Monstrosity vs. Humanity

After reading Donna Haraway's thoughts on cyborgs, I was left a bit confused. I ultimately had more questions than answers. Then, I read the article comparing Frankenstein's monster to Haraway's cyborg. I think the article's authour took a very interesting and unique viewpoint. There were times, however, I felt she was stretching things a bit too much to prove similarities between the two. I think she raised some interesting points about the emotional side of monsters and cyborgs. The author points out that we are afraid to be labeled as monsters, yet we are perfectly content with being calleds humans. Why is this? Are humans that much different from Frankenstein's monster? Of course we weren't created in the same way as the monster, but I believe we all contain the want and need for human companionship and we seek to find others who are like us and understand the hardships we face. Humans, in my opinion, are just as capable, if not more so, than monsters of doing some pretty awful things, yet we are the ones with the conscience. It seems a bit odd that some people are so afaraid of the implications of monsters, or more realistically, cyborgs. I do think, however, before society advances to create the ultimate cyborg, we need to think of the effects this would have. Like Frankenstein's monster, would the cyborg be able to feel? Would the cyborg know right from wrong? Could you kill a cyborg? Could a cyborg kill, and if so, how would it be punished? These are all questions that need to be discussed before technology advances any further. We mst first be responsible as "creators" before "bringing to life" cyborgs.

No comments: