Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Robots and Alone Together

I find myself slightly disturbed while watching the movies. I really hope that the world does not turn into what is being portrayed, but I feel like we are definitely headed in that direction. I definitely see similarities in what Turkle said and with the movies that we watched. The movies, i think, portrayed an extreme version of what might possibly be right around the corner. 

Each of the four movies were extreme in their own way, but the robot baby one and the robot love one struck me as most odd. The robot baby one I think has potential in real life situations. The way it was portrayed was crazy, but I could see this as a real life thing. I could see them being given to teens possibly t keep them from wanting to have children. The other one, Robot Love, was very extreme and I do not see this happening in the near future. The idea of robots falling in love is so far fetched to me, it makes it hard t imagine this. 

The mom who thought that if she finished her son's robot collection would bring him back was kind of weird, but I could easily see a mom do this. They might think that it would strengthen her child to see his collection completed. Or the mom might use it as a coping mechanism. This one did not strike me as to far fetched for these days. 

No comments: