Tuesday, November 25, 2008

What elements would you include if you were a robot?

Today in class, we discussed what elements we would include if we were a robot. I am a bit skeptical about the whole robot idea and mimicking human nature, so I was hesitant to even think about this aspect. I don't think that it will be possible in the near future for robots to mimic humans in every aspect, giving them freedom of choice. I think it will be a difficult task for researchers to accomplish because in my opinion, in order for robots to be given choice, emotion has to be present. Emotion is a huge aspect throughout the daily lives of people, and if robots didn't have this emotion, they are not experiencing the full capacity of freedom. I think if I was mimicked into a robot, I would for sure include this idea of emotion. Also, in class, Dr. Langguth asked whether we would include our flaws or not in our robot. My answer would be yes because I am who I am today because of the mistakes I've made in my past. If I didn't experience that, I don't think I would be the same person.

3 comments:

John said...

Tricia, I agree with you on every aspect. If these so called intelligent robots where close to being real, I would think that we would have heard more about it. I find it hard to believe that we have the technology to give robots emotions to mimic human traits. I feel that more information would have been released on the topic or issue if it was so close to being released. I also feel that I would include my flaws into a robot to mimic me. As I stated in class today, flaws are what make a person who they are. I would feel that if I didn't include my flaws then the robot would not mimic me, almost making the robot its own individual. I just feel that these ideas are still far from being achieved.

John Wise said...

In my opinion the one thing that makes humans not like robots is emotion. If robots are ever made to mimick human emotions, they wouldn't be emotions at all. They would be programed on how human emotions should feel and look. They could look like they have emotions by moving certain ways or saying certain things, but how can they actually "feel" emotion, let alone interpret it.

Fortner87 said...

Out of all the elements that a robot could have i would have to include humor and emotion as essential qualities. forst of all they make us human and we are the onlt known beings that have them. second i think that once you have that, then you have a greater understanding of life. if we can make jokes or laugh that means we understand the joke and are using our creativity and imagination to consruct an idea or story.