Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Robby the Robot

In class this week we watched a filmed that was made in the 1950's called Forbidden Planet and the main attraction of the film was a robot named Robby. I thought it was a real robot at first but then later the director said it was a man in suit. Robby the robot reminded me of the robot maid from the cartoon The Jetsons, they did basically the same thing they cleaned and was able to interact with their owners. I was wondering in class was the cartoon the Jetsons made before or after the film Forbidden Planet because both had the same ideas of what a robot was to look like. Both robots were parts of metal put together and they didnt look like humas at all. I'm really enjoying the topic of robots and is enjoying the novel Robot Visions.

2 comments:

Tricia.Partin said...

I think this film about Robby was pretty good, however, the idea that the robot was just a human in the suit distance me away from understanding the whole film. I think that if the purpose of the movie was about robots, then there should've been a robot portraying Robby instead of a human in a suit. However, that goes to say that movies like Wall-E should have real robots, and I do not think that is the case in cartoon images for children because these movies are designed for entertainment

jordan logan said...

I really liked the movie about "Robby the Robot." Like a said on another thread it would be so cool to have a robot that could do things for you that you really don't want to do. But i believe we start losing our value as humans on this earth. We are the ones who are suppose to be doing the labor and keeping ourselves busy. It seems like we are trying everything possible to make life easier. WE want everything to be "spoon fed" to us and i really don't like that attitude. Hard work is something that i really admire in people. I don't like the thought that we are trying to find the easiest way out possibe for every situation.