Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Final thoughts...

As i just finished my exam online, I'm convinced technology is not so much an ethical issue. The use of technology is an ethical issue. I occasionally text, browse the internet, and avoid face to face communication by utilizing email and other electronic means. The existence of a thing doesn't lead to it being either ethical or unethical, the way people utilize it does. Cars can be used ethically or unethically. So can a stone. So can a computer or cell phone. The idea of absolutes does nothing but cloud an otherwise relatively simple conversation. About anything that is commonly used for an ethical purpose can be misused for unethical purposes. Anyone that's been hit by a mag lite or baseball bat can attest to that. I used a computer to take a test online so as to avoid contact with others while completing the task, the teacher is doing more productive things than watching a room full of test takers, and trees are being saved... In a minute I'll jump in my car and get about 30 miles to the gallon on my ride home. Then I'll sit in air conditioning until I deem it cool enough outside. And if I get too board with focal things I'll turn on the tube and veg into meaningless bliss while numbing my brain with meaningless movies and distractions. I love technology.

No comments: