Tuesday, December 02, 2008

December 2, 2008

I found today's discussion in class very interesting. I think the episode in Boston Legal was indeed comparative to the idea of synthetic parts. I do not think that taking a drug is illegal if it helps a person study. To me, it is the same as coffee, if it is used as a means to stay up and focus. I think a drug should be illegal like in the case of steroids. Those help build muscle to make athletes stronger. To me, a medicine or coffee do not necessarily make a person smarter. It may just give them the capactiy to retain more knowledge. I do not believe that is cheating. It isnt as if the person has the answers to a test written on their hand. I personally have never used a medicine like Ritalin in order to do better on a test or say up late and focus for a test. I prefer to stick to coffee and sugar!!!!

4 comments:

Fortner87 said...

i also thought this was a very interesting topic. they should legalize these drugs to students who need them in order to study. I know from first hand that it is very difficult to study from a test let along for a ACT or LSAT test. this rides carriers heavy weight and it could make or break a person depending on what they score on it. sometimes i think they put too many restrictions on these tests and make it very difficult too score well on the tests.

Caroline Wadsworth said...

I love when questions such as the one about Boston Legal is brought up and it really makes you think about the morals of it! I feel that the girl should not have been accepted base on the enhancer that she took. Anyone else who was taking the test had equal opportunity to take it as well. I also feel that it is comparable to people drinking coffee, although maybe no as extreme. Why should people be able to drink that to give them a boost and she cant take a pill to give her a boost?

Fortner87 said...

I have been studying for the LSAT recently and i have an even strounger opinion after my most recent post. they try to make these standardized tests so difficult and they dont take into account the damages they do to some of these kids. i really stress out during these testa and i wonder sometimes why we even have to go through this pain just for a darn test.

Nick Dew said...

I think that this topic is very interesting as well. The hardest part of it all is that there is so much grey area. It's not as simple as saying it's illegal to take these pills because some people actually have disorders that require medication. With that being said I would hate to have to come in extra early in the morning to have to be drug tested before my ACT. I think that morally taking pills to enhance your focus is wrong. However, the day they start drug testing for these things is the day that the entire school system and tesing system is flawed