Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Blog #8 Robot Visions and Bicentennial Man

I must say that I'm so very glad that we have moved into some reading that has really excited me. I am reading more of these stories than we have to. I may have found my new favorite author. I hope this guy wrote a lot of books. I liked Robot Visions. I like how this short story starts with us finding out that our narrator is a member of a group that has discovered time travel, but we could never understand the mathematics of it all if we had not had Temporalist training. It's perfect and what's even more perfect is the end of the story when we find out that our narrator is a more advanced robot and actually tells Archie what to say in case he is asked by the humans of the group. They designed a robot that ultimately made the decisions that would ensure that human life ended and robot life continued.

The next story also interested me too. I found it amazing that the robot had began to have the same kind of feelings that we as humans have. Andrew slowly became more and more human. He even got to the point where he wore clothes, gave orders to humans, and wanted to die. HEY WAIT! That's not what we humans want to do, is it? Don't we still have nudist colonies? Don't we want to talk issues over and just get everyone to agree? Who wants to be the bad guy and make everyone work? And last, but certainly not least. Don"t we want to live forever? That Andrew sure had it wrong. How could he want to do all the things that we humans shy away from? Or do we? I thought about this some more after we discussed it in class. Andrew wanted to die. He made an individual decision. I remember watching the video in class before where they were going to save the guys brain. He also just wanted to die. Maybe that's it. Maybe Andrew was human after all. He made an individual decision. We all make these kinds of decisions and sometimes other people think we're crazy too. I wonder if someone has looked at the decisons I made and thought they were crazy too. I'm not crazy! Am I?

No comments: