Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Blog # 7 Why do we hide who we really are?

There are many times when I have been reading this book and I have been so lost and confused. But after reading through the final conclusion a couple of times and then looking back through the book, I have found that I missed what Ihde was trying to say all along. I should have taken the time to read the ending so I could understand what he was trying to tell us all along. His interests seem to truly lie in the fact that he's a conservationist. No that's might be wrong too. Maybe he's an animal rights activist. I hear him extolling the virtues of several different areas in this epilogue and i wonder what his true beliefs might be. I seem to pick up that whales are more important than the nuclear reactor and we need to find other ways of producing power for our society. I wonder about what he has done for our society. Has he conserved energy or raw materials in some way? Was this book made from recycled paper? Did he insist that the only energy used to make this book come from windmills? I did find something that seemed to bother him and that was science. It's the evil that we all need to beware of in our lives. Even the government favors science. The government gives all this money to science and the poor arts and humanities fields must do without the money it wants. I must in all honesty say that I believe that must truly reflect on the things that are important, but what had Don Ihde 'created' when he wrote this book? Did he leave something that will change our society for the better? Will we compare this book with the invention of the the telephone? How important will this book be fifty years from now? I think that Mr. Ihde would have been better served to keep his politics out of his book when he wrote it. We find what's really important when he talks about Galileo II and brings up that "funding agencies geared to social needs, economically just wealth distribution, issues of human nature, and conservation of planet earth...would be a nice daydream for tomorrow night." 218 (I must thank Dr. Easley for hammering home the proper way to do a quote). Mr. Ihde, technology can't be stopped. It can only be controlled. I have come to believe that we are embodied with technology and can never go back. I once told a story in the classroom that said everyone can go back if they want to and leave technology behind. I consider it the ultimate in leaving technology behind. Take all your money and buy land wherever you want. Drive up to the edge of your new property and get undressed. Leave your car, the clothes on your back, and stroll back into Eden. Leave technology behind and become a truly free person.

No comments: